A year ago I attended a 3 week college-like event called Missouri Scholar’s Academy. I showed several of my peers there some of the different demos I had here on bluethen.com, and they seemed to like it.
The teacher suggested that I should try and simulate a flock of birds. I told him that there were several implementations out there already, but I gave it a go anyways.
I wrote and based the algorithm off of a blog post by Harry Brundage. The original simulation could handle about 200 birds or “boids” before the frame rate drops noticeably.
In the past week I’ve returned to the flocking algorithm and did a few improvements. Right now it can handle about 1000 boids, and, with the OpenGL renderer, it can handle 1500 and up.